Sunday, January 2, 2011

New to iPhone iPod touch - Here are some features to remember, Pt 2

Happy New Year Everybody!

Let's start the New year of right with a few more iPhone/iPod features. Get the most from your gadget.
Here is part 1
Here is another post

Find My iPhone



Find My iPhone is a free service from Apple's Mobile Me that everyone with a iPhone 4 (and 3GS I believe and quite possibly iPod touch 4th gens. ) should take advantage. Why? Read this story from my friend at Pariahware.

Sad story, cell phone stolen from a hospital patient. But realize this; don't be naive. Your iPhone that you like so much, so does the rest of the world. It is small, easily stolen and easily sold via eBay, Craigslist, etc.. for a handsome amount.

Register your iPhone with the Mobile Me service and make sure you know how to use it.

If you should be unable to locate your phone, the key here is to quickly log into me.com and look for it. Rationally sort it out and if you think it is stolen, contact the police. Aided with some persistence from you, I think there is a good chance police will pursue; there is a good chance of solving a crime, and a likely chance of breaking up a small time theft ring.

Movies

Your iPhone 4/ iPod touch 4 gen is a movie camera. HD as well. The cheapest Flip HD costs what $150 retail, consider it money saved. Movie making with your iPhone is a topic unto itself, I can't possibly go over all that here. Quickly, a thought or two.

-- I recorded a 16 second movie. the resulting file was 16 Mb. There may be some compression involved when you upload or send the file via MMS, but, watch what data network you are using when transferring video. If you are on 3G, you will quickly burn though a 250 Mb monthly data plan transferring video. Though I don't know it for sure, but, I highly suspect sending multi-media via MMS will count towards for 3G data usage. Sharing video might be best done via upload to the internet with WIFI or connected to a computer iOS device.

--The iMovie application is a sure bet. I have quickly played with it and it will make great, on the fly movies using both video on your iPhone (iPod touch 4th gen too) as well as use your pictures. I am a fan of iMovie for the Mac, so, iMovie for iOS devices is a very good investment of $5 for sure. (come on, $5, geesh). It won't make you the next Kubrick, but will get you close to Ken Burns ( :) ).

Brevity is a key to success in blogging. I'll keep these short, post more later.

Again, Happy New Year.

No comments: